What Are We Doing?
The First High School for the Hearing Impaired (FHSHI) was founded in 1982. There are currently 42 students at the FHSHI from grade 7 to 11. The schools works towards the vision: “We dream of Filipinos who passionately love their country and whose competencies and values enable them to realize their full potential and contribute meaningfully to building the nation.”
The FHSHI serves as the headquarters of PADS, and PADS is committed to helping the school grow and achieve its vision by nurturing the education of the Hearing Impaired in Cebu.
The FHSHI has been in existence for over 30 years and has produced many successful graduates. A number of them are in the world of work, while other graduates pursue their post secondary education in different schools and colleges. In order to continue delivering high quality education, the FHSHI needs to address the following issues:
- Lack of funding
- Lack of resources
- Accessibility for students
- Post graduation options for students.
What We Want
We want the FHSHI to continue its work long into the future. The provision of education to PWD is at the heart of PADS, and we are proud to support such an institution.
What We Do
PADS and the FHSHI work in a collaborative partnership, which aims to support the activities of both groups. The FHSHI is a significant institution for PADS, as many of our Deaf volunteers went to school there. PADS supports the FHSHI in a number of ways, including:
- The development of an Internship Program in conjunction with Shangri-La Mactan. The aim of the Internship Program is to equip students with the necessary skills and competencies required to become part of the team at Shangri-La Mactan
- Provision of local and international volunteer teachers. Volunteer roles can last from anywhere between a month to a year
- Organizing fund raising activities to support the purchase of equipment and resources
- Facilitating sport clinics and Physical Education classes for the students
- Educational excursions for the students.